Sunday, August 26, 2012

"NO!"

Is it possible for the "terrible 2's" to start early? Oy. I guess i'd say Gavin is more of an extrovert than terrible. This weekend though however, we've had more meltdowns than we've seen in him. He's such a happy boy and loves everyone, but is a tornado when we're home. There are no moments of "stillness" while we're home....ever. In a matter of 5 minutes today, every foot of the living room had at least 1 if not 5 toys, the entire Tupperware drawer was empty, pots and pans cupboard, half of the food pantry and most of Troopers water (splashed out not drank, i'm not THAT bad of a parent).

Incase your wondering what kind of parents we are, we do have locks on several of our cupboards (especially the chemicals) but in order to make breakfast with both hands, I let him explore. Maybe he'll get it out of his system? Wishful thinking :) After a good few hours playing, he fought a nap and finally gave in. We later went out to meet a friend for lunch and he was a gem for several hours. Once we get home though, oh-my-gosh. Tornado on overdrive. He is normally a well mannered play-by-myself kind of kiddo. Not today, oh no. It was more like "pick me up or I will cry until you physically go lose your mind." So before that happened, I decided to wear him around the house to help me make dinner and clean. He did well and enjoyed hanging with mom. (Dad was out building a new deck with Grandpa!)

Long story short, we're currently trying to decide what type of discipline is the best for us and our family. It will be a constantly evolving topic, i'm sure. Thankfully, both Mark and I agree on it thus far. He's too little to discipline, in our opinion so we're working on redirecting. There may have also been other underlying issues for his behavior such as not feeling well or teething. I think I need  to read some books and decide what is NOT for us and go from there. I have learned so much being a parent, and so much more to come no doubt. Glad I have a special guy to co-parent with and a cute little boy to teach me patience and endless love!

The Pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment