Saturday, November 17, 2012

Don't DIY

Dear Fellow Pinteresters...

Just a word to the wise...people who's websites are linked to Pinterest are either professionals or super duper crafters. I thought i'd be all crafty tonight and make my own Christmas bulb wreath. Bad idea.

I should have taken Mark's advice to stop while I was a head and could still return the expensive pile of bulbs I bought. I had originally set out to make this, DIY Wreath.

FinishedWreath
Pretty little thing, huh?

Well I start out my cheap bulb hunt at Target- wrong place to start. For a pack of 8 or 10, it was  $15. I did peruse the already made wreaths and thought, "Who spends $20 on a wreath!?" Next I went to Michaels, and settled on several packs of bulbs for $5.99 a piece. $33 later, I left with more work and $ down the drain that if I just bought a new one. I digress...

30 minutes of hot gluing bulbs shut, I get them hung on my not-so-perfect-circle of a hanger.
This POS I ended up with, doesn't even hang on the door. The bulbs are of course, huge and it sticks out from the door quite a ways. I'm not even sure if I'd be able to close the door if I left it on there.

Here is what I ended up with....
It's bottom heavy, it's not cute, it's hardly a circle, and it's expensive.

I took it off the door, to have two bulbs come off and shatter all over the place.

Word to the wise, DON'T do this yourself. Go buy a pretty little pre-made $20 wreath from Target and save yourself. Unless you can find bulbs from the dollar store, and have some eye for working bulbs onto a hanger- not worth the work.

Excuse me while I go take the bulbs off and try to stuff the hot glued bulbs back into their packaging, and pretend they are new.

~H

No comments:

Post a Comment