Thursday, September 20, 2012

Happy, Healthy and Safe

Daycare- a place someone goes to be cared for...a broad definition.
What does daycare mean to me? It means that my child will be happy, healthy and safe. It means that you will care for my child's well being, advancement, health, nutrition and learning. It means that you will be engaging with him often, feeding him a balanced diet, playing with him, teaching him and care for him.

What doesn't it mean?
It doesn't mean that you will feed my child fried crap. It doesn't mean that he will be plopped in front of a TV all day long, and be allowed to do whatever it is he wants. It doesn't mean that you will let him and the other kids run the house.

I honestly don't think that we have unrealistic expectations for our child. We want him to be loved, cared for and treated well. It seems unrealistic however, the more we look around. He is at his current in-home daycare until he is two and it is going well. There are always things that I think could be improved, but you pick your battles and for a stranger raising my child three days a week, things are going fine.

Gavin is one in less than a month. He has one more year at his current location before we have to find him another place to go. I have been making a few calls and doing interviews WAY in advance because I've learned the first time around that waiting lists are ridiculously long. He is currently on one waiting list to start in winter of 2013. I am hoping/wishing/praying that he gets in there sooner than that! That is the only center that we've found that has met our expectations. The others, you ask?

Center #1: The Director smelled so badly of smoke that I had a headache when I left. The providers looked like rough cleaning ladies (sweats, holes in their shirts, skrunchies, yellow teeth, poor social skills etc). I would have to bring lunch for Gavin every day. Who wants to pack a lunch for a two year old every-single-day? Not these parents! What happens if we forgot his lunch? They share theirs or give him whatever the snack was, for lunch. Cheese puffs all day long? No. Lastly, they were so kind to point out to us that the playground was right up next to a busy road without a fence. Their solution? Have the providers stand in a line by the street.

Center #2: Great. The Director was a bit of a scatter brain and returns one e-mail every 5 you send. They seemed to have their business together however. They were church based, served a hot lunch (not our ideal diet for him, but we can get over that), and seemed to have a good curriculum. We are on their waiting list now to start late 2013/early 2014.

In-home #1: A great price was given to us to start our conversation. It ended quickly after asking, "what do you do with the kids as far as engaging activities/curriculum?" Her response? "It's not my job to educate your child." Ok, bye.

In-home #2: Decent. Feeds "all-organic," which studying and working in nutrition you would think that would be a gold star in my book...doesn't matter to me. Feed him a balanced, healthy diet and we're fine. She has a solid cirriculum, and at least puts in an effort to teach the kiddos life skills such as getting dressed (getting winter gear on), tying shoes, potty training, colors, shapes, numbers, etc. Downside? She said that she doesn't want the child to be left there longer than 8 hours. How is that realistic?! I WORK 8 hours/day and my hours don't vary that much from Marks to be able to make that happen. Still an option, not super pumped about it.

Montessori: Psht. We walk in for an open house and are greeted like so by the most unenthusiastic Director i've ever met, "Hi my name is blah-blah, want to register your child to start here? When will he start here? Sit down here and fill out the application forms." 'Scuse me? How much do you cost? What do you do? How do you work? I like the background of Montessori education but it costs your life savings to be able to afford. Their days are 8:30-3:30- again WTF? but have extended day hours for an "extra charge," charge another "little fee" for breakfast and lunch, and another chunk of change for any special classes (dance, music, etc). $300+/week later, your child can be cared for. Again, no thank you.

I'm going to give my hunt a rest for a few months and maybe someone great will appear after that. Until then, this kid isn't going anywhere but in the loving hands of family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment