Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Care package party 2 details

The second care package party will be on January 23rd from 11am-2pm.

It will be at Salem Covenant Church which is at:
2655 5th Street Northwest
New Brighton, MN 55112
(same church Mark and I were married at if you were at the wedding)

We are having it in the library of the church, which is upstairs, so you'll see us when you walk in the front door. I plan on ordering some pizza around noon for those who are there, and have some beverages as well.

From the last care package party we learned a couple of things, which I will elaborate for those who weren't able to come...
--When people came in, we had boxes set up with different categories (personal hygiene, reading materials, other, games/entertainment, food, things specifically for Mark, female things, etc), and everyone dropped their things off when they walked in. I am anticipating having the same type of thing, as it worked out really well.
--We had something similar to an assembly line for the filling and people doing different tasks such as a box maker/taper, people to fill out customs forms (which really helped me out!)
--We left all of the boxes open so that I could add more at to the boxes if we had a left over items at the end.
(It might seem like I'm organized, but I'm not that much...everything just seemed to workout.)

I will put a list up after Mark comes home, so that I can talk to him about what they liked etc. I know for sure that most things were a hit, which is good! If your already out looking for good deals, just base your purchases off of the previous list. Also, any amount of $ that was donated, really helped us out with the mailing of the packages (it cost over $500 to mail them all--but was well worth the cause!) so if you want to pitch in, but can't make it or don't have time to get anything this is a good way to help out too (any leftover money will go towards buying other donations for soldiers)!

We also learned from the first party, that since most people came around the beginning of the festivities, we had most of the boxes filled and put together after 2 hours. I would suggest that if you want to take part in all the goodness, to come earlier if possible. If it doesn't work with your schedule, come whenever...we'll be there until 2pm for sure and probably a little while later to load up all of the boxes.

No need to tell me if your coming to this one, since we will have plenty of space, and will be ordering food (another reason to come earlier! :)

Feel free to bring friends, or spread the word of our efforts. The soldiers are very thankful for everything we are doing for them, and I am thankful for everyone who has and can make this happen! Just a note, they have 189 (or so) soldiers in their unit, so I don't think making too many boxes will be an issue.

__________________________________

Mark will be back in about 15 days, and has told me that he has several pictures that I'll be able to share with you guys! I haven't seen any pictures since the last ones I put up, so I'm anxious to see how they've been living!

Since the last post, they have switched Mark BACK to day shifts (poor guy is exhausted).


-Heather




No comments:

Post a Comment